Episode #28 Establish A Budget
Like so many other facets of life, our financial well-being is largely determined by our ability to make the right sacrifices today to achieve great things tomorrow. This week, Dr. Michael Brown is joined by Gabe Dunbar in a practical conversation about being intentional with our money.
It doesn’t matter what age you are or what income you have, establishing a budget and having a plan is really important.Gabe Dunbar
- We often view budgets as restrictive, even though they could lead to our financial freedom.
- Spontaneous and in-the-moment financial decisions rarely produce as positive results as intentional and premeditated financial decisions.
- Failure to choose a budget today may lead to a situation where an even tighter budget is necessary tomorrow.
- Tracking our finances helps us to understand reality, and reality is always our friend.
- Debt may not be entirely avoidable, but it is always reducible.
- The financial dimension is connected to every other dimension of life.
- If submitting to strict dollar amounts feels overwhelming, begin by creating rules such as “Eat out only once a week” or “Go to Target only once a month.”
- Begin tracking every dollar you spend this month, and identify choices you can make that would reduce next month’s spending in each category.
- Set aside money dedicated for recreational activities so that you can engage in those activities guilt-free and anxiety-free.
In This Episode
Give It Away
What would the world look like if we all started looking for ways to freely share what we have with no strings attached? Dr. Tyler Schwanz joins Dr. Michael Brown this week as they discuss a new way of looking at both the things that we have and the love that we possess.
Delay Immediate Gratification
In the very first episode of Three Words, Dr. Michael Brown is joined by Beau Johnson as they kick off the podcast with three of Michael’s all-time favorite words.
Start A Business
Every human being has immeasurable value, so we each have the power to create something that brings value to others as well. This week, Ben Vollmar, founder of Flatlands Coffee, joins Dr. Michael Brown, founder of DMB Coaching, in a conversation about finances, flexibility, and having faith in ourselves and others.