Episode #68 Is Truth Knowable?
Is the sky really blue? Did the moon landing even happen? Does God actually exist? This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Steve Rieske continue their conversation about our Country in Crisis by considering the distinction between confidence and certainty in our understanding of reality.
If someone tells me, ‘I don’t think God exists,’ I don’t agree with their conclusion about the evidence. But I also don’t think they’re insane.Steve Rieske
- Truth is knowable enough that we can make thoughtful and reasonable decisions but not knowable enough that we can eliminate the possibility that we might be wrong.
- It is difficult to have values-based discussions when we can’t first agree upon the facts.
- The unfortunate consequence of the notion that “everything is equally true” is the dangerous conviction that nothing is true.
- It is impossible for us to know everything about anything – let alone everything about everything.
- Everything that we believe today is based, at least in part, on faith that we accurately understand the available evidence.
- We can see the world more clearly when we carefully consider the realities right in front of our eyes.
- The more complex a reality, the more information we lack and more humility we require.
- Engage in every conversation believing that you are wrong about at least one thing.
- Lean into disagreement rather than responding in horror.
- Commit to pursuing the truth as if it actually exists (because it does).
In This Episode
Doubt Is Okay
It is better to ask hard questions than to leave them unanswered… or answered incorrectly. This week, counselor and pastor Steve Rieske shares with Dr. Michael Brown a surprising perspective that could help each of us to become more fully alive.
Change Your Mind
We tend to think highly of ourselves for holding on to an opinion indefinitely, but growth and maturity are marked by the ability to react to new information by changing our minds. This week, Dr. Michael Brown is joined by Russell Catania as they outline the key steps to shifting perspectives.
Get The Vaccine
The COVID-19 vaccine is remarkably safe, incredibly effective, and it gives us hope for the future. In this week’s important and informative episode, Dr. Michael Brown engages in a timely conversation with soon-to-be Dr. Justin Brown about the primary reason this pandemic will soon come to an end.