Episode #55 Listen To Yourself
If we are willing to decode them, we will find deep meaning in the hidden messages our emotions, behaviors, and even bodies are sending us. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Nick Gillispie share some practical tips on how to cultivate the habit of paying attention to what’s happening below the surface.
I want to listen to myself, but I don’t always want to trust myself.Dr. Michael Brown
- We are unaware of most of what is going on inside of us on any given day.
- Unconscious self-talk often drives unhealthy and undesirable behaviors.
- We invest far more energy contemplating what others might think of us than controlling what we actually think of ourselves.
- Our behaviors flow out of our beliefs.
- Addressing our behaviors merely bandages our wounds, whereas addressing our self-talk heals our wounds.
- The voices in our heads are sometimes right, but they shouldn’t dictate our decisions without close examination.
- When there is a behavior in your life that you can’t seem to shake, get to the root of it by asking yourself, “Why do I do this?”
- Bring trusted friends into the conversations you have inside your head, asking them, “What do you think about this self-talk?”
- Pause daily to take your emotional temperature, especially on days when you don’t feel quite right.
In This Episode
Talk To Yourself
Each of us has a myriad of voices speaking into our lives, but we frequently forget about the most powerful one. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Amy Seiffert show us how to interrupt the dialogue that is happening in our own heads and begin to talk to ourselves like we would talk to our dearest friend.
Keep Asking Why
Asking the right questions creates movement in organizations and unlocks hidden potential in individuals. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Gabe Dunbar have a conversation about the ways that tenacious curiosity makes us more self-aware, more intentional, and more effective.
Resist The Temptation
The fleeting allure of harmful choices disappears when we recognize them as lasting obstacles to our long-term dreams. Listen in this week as Dr. Michael Brown and Justin Brown get strategic about overcoming unhealthy impulses.