I didn’t even hesitate. I told my mom, "Well, we’re doing the surgery." If I’m gonna get a 50/50 chance on one end and pretty much a zero chance on the other end, I’d rather take 50/50.Jaedyn McKinstry
- Our sadness in the midst of pain and disappointment often expresses itself as anger.
- Life is short, and it is often far shorter than we would hope or expect.
- We often pray for success even though it would be more helpful to pray for peace and perspective in the midst of failure.
- Difficulty in life often leads us to grapple with the existential, philosophical, and spiritual questions that we would otherwise ignore.
- Difficulty in life shapes us, matures us, and gives us perspective.
- If there is an all-powerful God, he is surely strong enough to handle our anger, anxiety, and frustration.
- Proximity to death has the potential to bring healing by shaping our attitude and outlook in life.
- Reminding ourselves of the miracles we have seen and experienced can help us to resist the temptation to complain.
- Whenever you find yourself losing hope, engage in practices that strengthen your belief in what is possible.
- Consider cultivating a practice of pausing, praying, and placing yourself in a posture of gratitude.
- Watch the full ESPN special covering Jaedyn's story.
This Will Pass
As thousands of people have died and millions have fled as refugees from the war in Ukraine, these are dark and sobering days. But there is a light at the end of each tunnel and peace around the corner of each battle. This week, Dr. Michael Brown is joined by Danijela Tomic as she reflects on her experiences living through war and offers words of hope and perspective as we navigate difficult times.
Figure It Out
It can be really challenging to move on when we’ve experienced pain, loss, and difficulty in life. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and small business owner DeAnte Shivers explore how to live with perseverance even in the midst of grief.
Accept The Mystery
There are equal parts fear and joy in that which we do not know. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Russell Catania discuss the role of certainty, control, and choices in navigating our complex world.