I just said, "Hey, I feel like you have some hostility towards me… Would you enlighten me?"Nick Gillispie
- When we ignore and avoid our critics, we ensure that we will never learn from them.
- As difficult as it is to listen to our critic, it is even more difficult to compliment our critic.
- At one time or another, each of us have been critical of others when we have felt threatened, jealous, or insecure.
- It is easier to accept feedback when we choose to view it as a commentary on our performance rather than a criticism of our character.
- Complimenting our critic defuses the situation and reclaims the power they attempted to take away.
- Our response to criticism is motivated by either self-preservation or self-discovery.
- We can choose to believe the best in others’ intentions even if the delivery or the tone of their criticism seems rude or hurtful.
- Every critic has the potential to become our ally, and each ally has the potential to become a friend.
- Remind yourself that each critique is a gift that warrants a genuine “Thank you.”
- Digest each criticism you receive with the people who know you best by asking, “Is this true of me?” and “How can I grow from this?”
- When you read an inflammatory post online, consider privately messaging its author rather than publicly presuming their tone.
Examine Yourself First
Every conflict is an opportunity to take a step back and see ourselves more clearly. This week, Justin Brown joins Dr. Michael Brown in a conversation about looking in the mirror and investigating our own hearts before we judge others.
Invite Honest Feedback
None of us have arrived – we all have blindspots in our perspective and areas we can improve. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Casey Greenawalt discuss the importance of surrounding ourselves with friends who have permission to call us out and call us higher.
Cheer For Others
At one time or another, all of us struggle to believe that we have what it takes. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Dr. Tyler Schwanz reflect on moments when they have felt most encouraged and consider the individuals who have made the greatest impact on their journeys.