Episode #21 Establish A Routine
If asked for a list of exciting words, few of us are likely to include the word routine. Listen in this week as Casey Greenawalt and Dr. Michael Brown unpack a counterintuitive secret to avoiding a mundane existence: creating everyday rhythms and rituals can actually make our days anything but ordinary.
When we establish a routine, it provides rhythm. It provides organization. It provides greater effectiveness, greater productivity, and greater opportunity to become the better version of ourselves.Dr. Michael Brown
- We resist routines because they feel restrictive, not recognizing that those very routines could actually make us more free.
- We often give up on routines completely when we skip them just once.
- If we lack routines in all twelve dimensions of life, our personal growth will be lopsided.
- We can establish helpful routines in our day-to-day lives even if they do not come naturally to us.
- Routines give us more margin for spontaneity and allow us to maximize every moment of life.
- Routines ensure that our choices are proactive rather than reactive.
- Establish your own morning, work start-up, work shut-down, and end-of-day routines.
- Cue each routine by drinking a glass of water, as this helps to build the habit.
- Ensure that you have at least one daily, weekly, or monthly routine that relates to each dimension of life.
In This Episode
Break The Routine
Mondays don’t have to be mundane. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Casey Greenawalt revisit a frequent Three Words topic with fresh eyes.
Shake Things Up
Routine and ritual are healthy rhythms of a productive life, but sometimes a change of pace and an unexpected twist are exactly what we need. This week Dr. Michael Brown and Justin Brown highlight the importance of taking risks, trying new things, and even breaking your own rules.
Make Your Bed
Taking care of the little things in life creates order and rhythm that empowers us to take care of the big things. This week Dr. Michael Brown has an insightful back and forth with his son, Logan Brown, about the profound impact of establishing simple, healthy routines.