Episode #43 Kiss Gossip Goodbye
There is incredible power in the words we speak – power to unite and power to divide. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Russell Catania challenge us to choose words that invigorate and inspire those around us.
Over time, I’m hoping people will trust me because they will know Michael Brown is not going to engage in gossip. He is not going to engage in those kinds of back-room conversations. He is going to call it out.Dr. Michael Brown
- It is easier to tell others about our conflicts than it is to lean into difficult conversations to address those conflicts.
- Engaging in gossip breeds distrust because it causes others to wonder whether we gossip about them too.
- Everyone who participates in gossip is in that moment hoping that nobody is gossiping about them.
- There is nothing that shapes our character and our reputation so much as the words that we speak.
- We are most likely to gossip about those of whom we are jealous.
- The three root causes of gossip are the pursuit of community, the trap of comparison, and the existence of cowardice.
- When you find yourself engaging in gossip, ask yourself, “What is my motivation in saying this?”
- Whenever you lower your voice to share a detail about another person, take it step further and stop talking right then and there.
- When you are on the receiving end of gossip, ask the question, “Have you talked to them about this yet?”
In This Episode
Examine Yourself First
Every conflict is an opportunity to take a step back and see ourselves more clearly. This week, Justin Brown joins Dr. Michael Brown in a conversation about looking in the mirror and investigating our own hearts before we judge others.
Think Before Speaking
Words have power. This week, Dr. Michael Brown chats with Nick Gillispie about how we can better choose our words.
Believe The Best
How do you maintain a life-giving attitude in the midst of frustration, disappointment, and hurt? Listen in this week as Dr. Tyler Schwanz and Dr. Michael Brown have a conversation about one of the most critical ingredients to becoming fully alive.