Episode #62 Think Before Speaking
Words have power. This week, Dr. Michael Brown chats with Nick Gillispie about how we can better choose our words.
Sticks and stones hurt less and for a shorter period of time than words.Dr. Michael Brown
- Most of what we do in life, we do without thinking.
- Even if forgiveness comes quickly, the pain of a thoughtless comment may last for a lifetime.
- The critical and condescending words that have been spoken to us have shaped the way we view ourselves.
- Thinking before speaking is especially important before expressing frustration and making promises.
- Our words communicate the weight of who we are.
- There is a right time and place for every conversation.
- Plan your tact, timing, tone, and technique prior to initiating potentially difficult conversations.
- Wait five minutes after you have typed that controversial post or that frustrated text prior to clicking ‘send.’
- Routinely ask yourself the questions, “Is what I’m about to say or post or text going to help or hurt?” and, “Will this comment strengthen or compromise my character?”
In This Episode
Handle Anger Constructively
January 11, 2021
We can’t control when we feel angry, but we can control how we react to that anger. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Libby Snow discuss how to respond when we lose control, comfort, or convenience.
Kiss Gossip Goodbye
August 24, 2020
There is incredible power in the words we speak – power to unite and power to divide. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Russell Catania challenge us to choose words that invigorate and inspire those around us.
Give Better Feedback
June 20, 2022
One of the greatest gifts we can give to others is well-intentioned constructive feedback. This week, Dr. Michael Brown and Dan Costello instruct us on how to improve our communication skills where we live, work, and play.