Episode #87 Q and A
The mission of Three Words Podcast is to help our viewers and listeners become the very best versions of themselves. In this special edition episode, Dr. Michael Brown joins his son Logan Brown to answer your questions about intentionality, identity, and intimacy.
My favorite son is the one whose middle name is Michael.Dr. Michael Brown
Do you think standardized tests should determine a student’s success?
- Answer: No.
- Principle: GRIT (gumption, resolve, intentionality, tenacity) is a far more accurate indicator of future academic and professional success than IQ.
- Related: Episode 001 – Delay Immediate Gratification
What is the best piece of advice that you have received and implemented in the last year?
- Answer: Recognize that every person is unique and every perspective is nuanced.
- Principle: The realities of the world are not always as black-and-white as they appear because every story has its subtleties.
- Related: Episode 083 – Listen To Understand
What advice would you give your 21-year-old self?
- Answer: Craft your personal mission statement now, deciding who you want to be rather than merely what you want to do.
- Principle: Decisions about priorities should not be reserved for a mid-life crisis.
- Related: Episode 023 – Focus On Becoming
What advice would you give your 35-year-old self?
- Answer: Life is too short to take shortcuts, so continue to invest your full energy in every dimension of life.
- Principle: Coasting is always backwards.
- Related: Episode 015 – Never Give Up
How do you know when you should get out of a friendship or relationship?
- Answer: It’s time to get out of a friendship or relationship when it becomes physically or emotionally abusive.
- Principle: There is a difference between giving up on a friendship and removing a friendship from your inner circle.
- Related: Episode 080 – Let It Go
How do I go about finding and creating an identity for a role that I have not yet entered?
- Answer: Invest all of your energy into becoming the best version of yourself in every dimension of life, and you will be prepared for any future role.
- Principle: Every human being is worth more than their performance, their position, and their power.
- Related: Episode 029 – Know Your Worth
Let’s say there is a book that tells you the date and time that you will die. Would you read it?
- Answer: Yes, I want to know so that I can make choices in light of that knowledge.
- Principle: There are likely choices we are making each day that are accelerating our eventual demise.
- Related: Episode 081 – You're Gonna Die
How do you not let others’ emotions or attitudes affect you?
- Answer: I can simultaneously demonstrate empathy while maintaining healthy boundaries, and I can lean into others’ pain without carrying it with me.
- Principle: We can allow the emotions of others to affect us without allowing the attitudes of others to affect us.
- Related: Episode 057 – Own Your Joy