My favorite son is the one whose middle name is Michael.Dr. Michael Brown
Do you think standardized tests should determine a student’s success?
- Answer: No.
- Principle: GRIT (gumption, resolve, intentionality, tenacity) is a far more accurate indicator of future academic and professional success than IQ.
- Related: Episode 001 – Delay Immediate Gratification
What is the best piece of advice that you have received and implemented in the last year?
- Answer: Recognize that every person is unique and every perspective is nuanced.
- Principle: The realities of the world are not always as black-and-white as they appear because every story has its subtleties.
- Related: Episode 083 – Listen To Understand
What advice would you give your 21-year-old self?
- Answer: Craft your personal mission statement now, deciding who you want to be rather than merely what you want to do.
- Principle: Decisions about priorities should not be reserved for a mid-life crisis.
- Related: Episode 023 – Focus On Becoming
What advice would you give your 35-year-old self?
- Answer: Life is too short to take shortcuts, so continue to invest your full energy in every dimension of life.
- Principle: Coasting is always backwards.
- Related: Episode 015 – Never Give Up
How do you know when you should get out of a friendship or relationship?
- Answer: It’s time to get out of a friendship or relationship when it becomes physically or emotionally abusive.
- Principle: There is a difference between giving up on a friendship and removing a friendship from your inner circle.
- Related: Episode 080 – Let It Go
How do I go about finding and creating an identity for a role that I have not yet entered?
- Answer: Invest all of your energy into becoming the best version of yourself in every dimension of life, and you will be prepared for any future role.
- Principle: Every human being is worth more than their performance, their position, and their power.
- Related: Episode 029 – Know Your Worth
Let’s say there is a book that tells you the date and time that you will die. Would you read it?
- Answer: Yes, I want to know so that I can make choices in light of that knowledge.
- Principle: There are likely choices we are making each day that are accelerating our eventual demise.
- Related: Episode 081 – You're Gonna Die
How do you not let others’ emotions or attitudes affect you?
- Answer: I can simultaneously demonstrate empathy while maintaining healthy boundaries, and I can lean into others’ pain without carrying it with me.
- Principle: We can allow the emotions of others to affect us without allowing the attitudes of others to affect us.
- Related: Episode 057 – Own Your Joy